Forum

Notifications
Clear all

trigger expressions maps with the touch screen

Page 1 / 2

Dominique Fournival
Topic starter  

Hello Karol

I come back to you first to congratulate you on the superb work you have done with the sherlock plugin.

All my tracks are accessible very quickly and all major functions are in place.

I have already created 4 pages the first listing the files by family of instruments
the second by instruments the third is the midi functions
the fourth audio functions

I will also send screenshots when I will be at home of my configuration

I created keys to select all my articulation with PLE

but I have tracks with only one articulation and others with keyswitchs and corresponding expression maps

I would like to create keys that trigger the expressions maps as in the link of the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qsP_gZBwas(which starts at 53 minutes)

I understand the principle of dynamic buttons but I can not trigger the expressions maps

with the remote control whether it is with the notes or the midi cc

i have lots of audio spitfire and eastwest banks and I tried the UACCs Spitfire already implemented in sherlock but it doesn't work.

If you have an idea

cordially

Dominique

Karol
Admin Admin

Hello Dominique!

Nice to hear from you, I hope you are well and making music!

The UACC is an old idea from Spitfire Audio. It was a nice idea but over the years SA realized that predefined articulation names is just not working whan company like SA is creating so many libraries and so many articulation names basically every week now.

What is UACC? Simple - it is just the CC#32 sending different values and (almost) every value is triggering another articulation. So we will have basically 128 possible articulations to switch to BUT since then SA created soooo many libraries that the 128 articulation names are long surpassed. The main idea still works though - CC#23 and ith values are switching different articulation - no matter if the names are correct or not - we can rename the buttons to whatever we want so this is not a problem at all.

So the list of UACCs is there in the menu and is working fine but I feel that with all the new libraries SA created last few years the articulation names are not actual.

I personally am using Expression Maps a lot. With the Expression Map you can decide what is the incoming trigger (coming from SHERLOCK) it could be Program Change, Note-On message and what is the ExprMap output - CC#, Note On, Program Change and on what MIDI channel and what value. It all depends on what you need. For example for Spitfire Audio libraries I use Program Change as the trigger coming from the SHERLOCK button and as the output I set CC#32 in different values so different articulations will be triggered that way.
For libraries like Orchestral Tools, Vienna or Cinesamples for example I use Note-On messages as the output since those are triggering the Key Switches that the developer created. I just rename my buttons on the SHERLOCK GUI to whatever the articulation name is that this button is triggering and I'm done. I can even forget what CC#32 value or what Note-On message I am sending since all I care for is the name of the articulation and not what exactly is triggering it.

In the example below I have created an Expression Map for Spitfire Audio library TUNDRA for the patch "Strings High - Soft and Wild".
You can see that the incoming triggers are Program Changes 1-12 on channel 1 and each of those ProgChanges is triggering different CC#32 value. Those CC#32 values are switching different articulations for that "Strings High - Soft and Wild" patch. The same idea works for any other library but as already explained above some libraries will prefer Note-On messages to trigger their keyswitches and not CC#32. It all depends on the library you are triggering this way.

In the GIF you can see what is the input and what is the output for the Expression Map. I did a short recording playing my MIDI keyboard and switching the articulations with SHERLOCKs buttons. You can see that all the Program Changes are recorded and when played back they switch all the articulations accordingly. This is the whole idea behind Expression Maps.

I will also attach the Expression MAp for the Tundra patch so you can download it and see how it was made and tweak it to your needs!
Have  a great day Dominique and I hope that will help you a bit more in your Expression Map endeavour!

Karol Obara - 14bitMIDI

ReplyQuote
Karol
Admin Admin

And here comes the Expression Map. The GIF is still converting so I will post the link as soon as it is ready!
Cheers!

K.

ReplyQuote
Karol
Admin Admin

ReplyQuote
Karol
Admin Admin

... zipped

ReplyQuote
Karol
Admin Admin

ReplyQuote
Dominique Fournival
Topic starter  

Sorry but it still doesn't work
whether with your expression maps from Tundra or mine

some question

Kontakt should it be if midi channel 1 or omni

did maps expressions atrribut or direction are important

how should the cubase midi filter be adjusted

I have two mackie control in cubase because I'm coming
to change keyboard keylab mkII 88 is it a problem?

ReplyQuote
Dominique Fournival
Topic starter  

Captur Mackie Control

ReplyQuote
Dominique Fournival
Topic starter  

My ExpMaps Tundra

ReplyQuote
Dominique Fournival
Topic starter  

I am still very satisfied because I have made good progress
here are the screenshots of the pages set up

ReplyQuote
Dominique Fournival
Topic starter  

Page 02 Instruments

ReplyQuote
Dominique Fournival
Topic starter  

Page 03 Midi Functions

ReplyQuote
Dominique Fournival
Topic starter  

Page 04 MixAudio but this page is not finished yet 

ReplyQuote
Dominique Fournival
Topic starter  

Dynamic button test capture related SW-Flute ExpMapps UACC KS

ReplyQuote
Dominique Fournival
Topic starter  

the joints in blue are PLEs for the visibility of the tracks(page 01 and 02)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

BECOME A POWER-USER TODAY!

“I hope that 14bitMIDI products will improve your workflow immensely. Working with CUBASE® or NUENDO® will be even more intuitive and productive.” – Karol Obara – 14bitMIDI